November 11, 2013 § 14 Comments
If you’ve been following my blog, you would know that I am a Filipino living in Cebu. The Visayas group of islands (where Cebu is part of) has been struck by severe disasters just within a month. A 7.2 magnitude earthquake hit Bohol on October 15, also affecting Cebu and other Visayas islands. Last Friday, November 8 Super Typhoon Haiyan, a category 5 typhoon made landfall 6 times on different Visayas islands. Tacloban was hit hard and authorities have been reported to expect over 10,000 deaths.
My family and I in Cebu are safe and sound however our Kababayans (fellow countrymen) in Tacloban, Bohol, and other severely hit islands did not fair well. We need all the help we can get. This post is late as I did not get my internet connection back until yesterday. There has been several compilations of the different organizations mobilizing and deploying major relief operations. Rappler, one of the leading Philippine news organizations have compiled a comprehensive list providing information for people in and out of the country.
I have chosen below the most convenient methods netizens can help. If you have extra pennies, please do consider clicking any of the links and donate. Filipinos, most especially Visayans would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you.
Gawad Kalinga – http://gk1world.com/typhoon-yolanda
Habitat for Humanity – http://www.give2habitat.org/philippines/ReBuildPhilippines
Philippine Red Cross – http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate
ShelterBox – http://www.givealittle.co.nz/org/shelterbox
World Food Programme – https://www.wfp.org/donate/typhoon-philippines
- ‘Yolanda’ weakens, on way out of PH (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Tacloban Takes Direct Hit from Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) (jacksaunsea.wordpress.com)
- Here’s how to help with relief effort in Philippines (twitchy.com)
- Filipinos tweet photos of missing loved ones in wake of deadly Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda (twitchy.com)
- Statement by the President on Super Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda (whitehouse.gov)
- In Photos: Aftermath Of Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) In Philippines (ahmadalijetplane.wordpress.com)